PINC is designed as a program for biology and chemistry / biochemistry majors, and consists of 15 units of computer science coursework (five courses spread over four semesters) that will allow the students to earn a Minor in Computing Applications.
SEMESTER 1 (3 units)
CSC 209: Introduction to Programming using Python (3 units)
CSC 306: An Interdisciplinary Approach to Computer Programming (3 units)
SEMESTER 2 (3 units)
CSC 219: Data Structures for Data Science Application Development (3 units)
SEMESTER 3 (6 units)
CSC 308: Introduction to Machine Learning for Data Scientists (3 units)
CSC 508: Machine Learning and Data Science for Personalized Medicine (3 units)
If you get getting the Data Science Certificate --> BIOL/CHEM 808 is taken in this semester as well (1 unit). Click on link for more information.
SEMESTER 4 (3 units)
CSC 509: Data Science and Machine Learning for Medical Image Analysis (3 units)
If you get getting the Data Science Certificate --> CSC 601 (1 unit) and CSC602 (1 unit) are taken in this semester as well (1 unit). Click on link for more information.
What's special about PINC?
- Earn a minor in Computing Applications.
- No prior computer science background needed.
- You will learn computer science skills together with other biology / chemistry/ biochemistry majors.
- You will learn computer science from computer science professors who are excited to teach non-CS majors.
- You will receive mentoring from motivated computer science graduate students.
- Receive opportunities to network with professionals working at the intersection of Biology/Chemistry and Computer Science.
- Increase your chances on the job market or to get into graduate school.
- You will receive a laptop (as a loan) for the four semesters you will be in the program.